Monday, July 6, 2009

KC142009 Blue Cheese Burgers

Photobucket

This weekend I made blue cheese burgers with sautéed mushrooms. I sautéed some radish greens from the garden with olive oil, salt and pepper. I also served some curly fries on the side.
For the burgers I used ground sirloin. I formed it into patties slightly bigger than I wanted the burger to be because the meat will shrink during cooking. I used my thumb to make deep indents in the burger. I stuffed blue cheese into the indents and closed them back up by folding the meat back over. I seasoned the patties with Montreal steak seasoning and worshire sauce. I used the store bought brand of seasoning but have found some good copycat versions online.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I got my cast iron skillet VERY hot and added a bit of olive oil spray to the pan. I cooked the burgers on each side for about 2 to 3 minutes and then finished in a preheated 450 degree oven for about another 5 minutes for medium burgers.

Photobucket

Once the burger came out of the oven I let them rest for about 5 minutes while I sautéed the mushrooms in the same skillet that the burgers cooked in. I added a little salt and pepper. Once the mushrooms lost most of their water I added about a tablespoon of red wine for some added extra flavor and cooked until most of the alcohol was gone.

Photobucket

While the burgers cooked in the oven, I quickly sautéed the greens in olive oil and salt and pepper. The greens were a little bitter for my taste. But if you like bitter greens I strongly recommend radish greens.

Photobucket

The fries were the store bought frozen kind that I baked in the oven while I cooked a prepared the rest of the meal.

The blue cheese melted perfectly in the middle of the burger and gave it a rich creamy flavor. I topped the burgers with mayonnaise and A1 sauce.

Photobucket

1 comment: