Sunday, July 26, 2009

KC162009 Steak w/parsley sauce and steak and couscous salad

Photobucket

The other night for dinner I made steaks. To top it, I made a parsley sauce inspired by a dish I had at an Argentinean restaurant in Chicago years ago on my birthday. I served it with steamed brown rice and green beans from the garden sautéed with mushrooms and grape tomatoes. I also made a quick green salad with red plums, almonds, and blue cheese, dressed with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Photobucket

The steak was dressed with Worcestershire sauce and Montreal steak seasoning and seared in a very hot cast iron skillet for about three minutes on each side. It was then put into a 450 degree preheated oven for about five minutes to cook to medium rare.

Photobucket

I blanched the green beans in boiling water for just a minute until they turned bright green. I strained them dousing with cold water and ice to stop them from cooking. While these strained I sautéed the mushrooms with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Once the mushrooms lost most of their water I added the sliced grape tomatoes and sautéed until lightly caramelized after which I added the green beans. I added a little bit more salt and pepper and sautéed all the ingredients while the steak cooked in the oven.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

For the sauce I picked fresh parsley from my garden along with Hungarian hot peppers, a sprig each of thyme, oregano, and young leeks. I blended all the chopped ingredients in a food processor pouring in a tablespoon or two of olive oil as it blended. I then added a handful of raw pine nuts, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and blended until incorporated. Once the steak was out of the oven I let it rest while I quickly warmed the sauce on the stove top over medium/ low heat. I served the sauce spooned over the steak.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I sauce went perfectly with the steak and surprisingly well mixed with the rice. It had a bright green flavor and the olive oil and parmesan gave it a creamy rich texture.

The next day for lunch I used the left over green bean mix, one left over steak, and the rest of the sauce to make a warm couscous salad. I used chicken broth instead of water for added flavor. I quickly warmed the sauce, green bean mix, and steak on the stove top. I sliced the steak as thin as possible and tossed all the warmed ingredients into the couscous. I added parmesan and stirred thoroughly to incorporate. I sliced a cucumber from the garden and used it as a garnish.


Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment