Thursday, July 23, 2009

KC152009

Photobucket

Yesterday for lunch I made turkey salad with fresh celery grown in my garden, chopped walnuts, and fresh black cherries. I dressed the salad with light mayonnaise and a splash of açaí and pomegranate red wine vinegar. I used a canned white turkey, making sure to crush up the chunks using a wooden spoon before adding the other ingredients. I used just the stalks of the celery, freezing the rest to use in soups and stocks later. I chopped the walnuts coarsely with my sharp chef’s knife. I cut the cherries in half and removed the pits and then coarsely chopped them. I used the darkest cherries in the bunch because they have the most flavor and their pits are easiest to remove.


Photobucket


Photobucket


For the dressing I added about a cup of mayonnaise and a slash of vinegar, stirring until everything was incorporated. I then added salt and pepper to taste. I like to use coarse sea salt for salads because of its texture. Sea salt doesn’t blend into the background; every crystal bursts with flavor and then melts on the tongue bringing out the rest of the flavors in the salad as it mellows.


Photobucket

I served the turkey salad on whole wheat toast with a slice of aged Swiss cheese. For another turkey salad idea, follow this link.


Photobucket


Photobucket


For dinner last night I made chicken breast stuffed with swiss cheese topped with tarragon sauce and served with roasted Yukon gold potatoes and pan fried zucchini from the garden.

I pounded the chicken out flat and placed a small piece of swiss cheese in the center. I then rolled the chicken breast and secured it with toothpicks. I seasoned it with salt and pepper. I seared the chicken in a very hot cast iron skillet for about two minutes on each side. Turning off the heat, I added about a cup and a half of beef broth and tossed in a whole spring of fresh tarragon and oregano. I also added a couple of young leek sprouts coarsely chopped. The leeks in my garden are still quite small but the scent and flavor are still very strong. It gave the sauce a lovely garlic and onion flavor. I put the skillet in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Once the chicken was out of the oven I let it rest while I cooked down the sauce remaining in the skillet by about half. After the sauce had reduced I added a bit of flour and butter to thicken the sauce and give it a nice shine.


Photobucket


Photobucket

For the zucchini I first cut it into medallions and coated with flour. I then dipped it in egg and coated them in Italian style bread crumbs. I pan fried the zucchini in a then layer of canola oil on medium high heat until golden brown, flipping over once with a fork. I heated the oil too much and the first few medallions I put in burned within a mater of seconds. I had to turn off the heat and wait for the oil to cool down before continuing.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


The potatoes were coated in olive oil and seasoned with rosemary, salt and pepper and baked for about 40 minutes at 450 degrees.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment