Monday, August 24, 2009

KC192009 Orange Cupcakes

Photobucket

My aunt had a bake sale last Monday to raise money for the Alzheimer’s Memory Walk. She raised $216. I donated 48 orange cupcakes with orange cream cheese frosting. Well give or take few for “tasting”.

Photobucket

To make the cupcakes I started with organic yellow cake mix. Once I mixed together all the ingredients on the cake mix box instructions I then added the zest of one orange and half the juice of a fresh squeezed orange. I mixed the batter again to incorporate the new ingredients. The batter is thinner than normal because of the juice but it bakes up just the same.

Photobucket

I then poured the batter into cupcake pans lined with cupcake papers. I filled each cup about half way to the top. I baked the cupcakes according to the directions on the box. I let the cupcakes cool on wire racks for about an hour before making the cream cheese frosting.

Photobucket

To make the frosting I beat one package of cream cheese for each 24 batch of cupcakes using the paddle attachment on my kitchen aid. The cream cheese needs to be softened significantly. I always forget to leave the cream cheese out the night before so to remedy this I just leave the package on the stove top while the oven is warming and the cupcakes are baking. Once the cream cheese was beaten smooth I added the zest and juice of one orange. I bet it again until smooth adding about a half a cup or so of sugar. You can add a little more or less depending on your sweet tooth. The frosting had a slightly thicker consistency than royal icing.

Photobucket

I placed one small spoonful of frosting at the center of each cooled cupcake and made a circle with the back of the spoon moving outwards towards the edge of the cupcake. Because I’m pretty impatient when it comes to cake, I’ve never been very good at frosting. They tasted awesome even though they weren’t the best looking cupcakes.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment