Thursday, August 27, 2009

KC202009 Seared Pork Tenderloin with Cocoa Spice Rub

Photobucket

When the ancient Myans began using chocolate 2,600 years ago they didn’t have the luxury of creamy Swiss milk or the ingenious idea of the Spanish to add sugar. Instead they mixed the powder of the ground seeds into hot water spiked with spicy chilies and fragrant herbs to create a frothy drink. This Cocoa spice rub is inspired by those amazing Myans who first discovered the wonders of chocolate.

To make the spice rub I first mix together dark cocoa powder about three or so tablespoons. I then add about a teaspoon or so each of, fresh ground pepper, ground coriander, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground cumin. I also add about a tablespoon of cinnamon and at least two teaspoons of sea salt. I mix them all together well in a bowl.

Photobucket

I use two boneless pork tenderloins about two pounds a piece. I make sure to remove all the silver skin as this does not cook off and becomes chewy when cooked. I like to leave the fat on pork tenderloin as it is a very lean cut of meat and will need the little bit of fat it has on it for optimum flavor.

Photobucket

I coat each tenderloin with the cocoa spice rub and let it rest for about fifteen minutes at room temperature.

Photobucket

In a very hot cast iron skillet I warm about two tablespoons of olive oil and sear the pork tenderloin for about two minutes on each side. I then place the cast iron skillet with the pork tenderloin in a 450 degree preheated oven for about ten to fifteen minutes. I like my pork tenderloin to be slightly pink on the inside. It is safe to cook pork to medium as pork is now raised on corn and no longer feed scraps. I let the pork rest for another five minutes before cutting into it. This pork is best served sliced thin. I like to side it with wild rice pilaf, rosemary potatoes, or roasted asparagus.

Photobucket

This pork tenderloin makes great leftovers. I like to make sandwiches with it using mayonnaise on homemade whole wheat bread with swiss cheese. The leftover spice rub will keep in an airtight container for about a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment