Wednesday, June 10, 2009

E012009 Penne with Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce

06102009
Last night we had medium sized pasta shells with a creamy roasted red pepper and tomato sauce. A mixed green salad topped with fresh raspberries and pine nuts dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar was served on the side. The lettuce was harvested from our kitchen garden and the creamy sauce was made from Pacific Natural Foods Box Soups.

I simmered about half the box on medium/low heat in a very large skillet. I whisked in about a tablespoon each of sour cream and red wine and then added fresh ground pepper and a few springs of fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley, and basil from the garden. I put them in whole so that I could easily fish them out before serving. I made sure to stir the sauce constantly to keep it from burning or sticking to the bottom of the skillet. I kept the sauce on low heat while I waited for the pot of pasta water to boil. Just before I took the pasta off the heat I added about 2 tablespoons of pasta water to the sauce. While the pasta drained I whisked in a small pad of butter and checked to see if the sauce was the right consistency by dragging my finger across the back of a sauce covered spoon. If it leaves a trail it’s ready. I tossed the pasta with the sauce until it was evenly coated and removed it from the heat. I served it with grated parmesan cheese on top.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

For the salad I added about a tablespoon each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to the lettuce, raspberries, and pine nuts and tossed thoroughly crushing the raspberries. I then added sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and quickly tossed again.

Photobucket

There was nothing left but empty bowls licked clean so I know everyone liked it. I’m sorry for the lack of end result pictures I got caught up in the meal and forgot to take the rest of the photos. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment