Sunday, June 14, 2009

KC062009 Filet Mignon with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce

06142009

Photobucket

Last night for dinner we had pan seared filet mignon topped with a sautéed mushroom sauce served with roasted asparagus and Greek style salad topped with tomatoes, kalamata olives, cucumber, and feta cheese, dressed with champagne vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.

To make the steak I dressed it in worsteshire sauce and a little salt and pepper and let it rest at room temperature for about ten minutes before cooking. I preheated the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. On the stove top I got a cast iron skillet very hot on high heat. I added a small amount of olive oil to the pan, I like to use olive oil spray to get a thin even coat, and set the steaks in the skillet. The steaks should sizzle loudly when placed in the pan, if they don’t the pan is not hot enough. I seared the steaks for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side and then place the pan in the preheated oven. I like my steaks medium rare so I leave them in the oven for about five and half minutes. After that I took them out of the pan and let them rest for at least five minutes to finish cooking and redistribute the juices. While the steaks were resting I sautéed the mushrooms and scallions, from the Warren Farmers Market, in the same skillet until they lost almost all their water. I then added about a 1/2 cup of red wine reducing by about half and adding a small pad of butter to finish. I poured the sauce over the steak.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I put the asparagus in before I started the steaks. I like my roasted vegetables well done with a few crispy black bits here and there. Before roasting I tossed the asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

The greens for the salad of course came from my summer garden. I topped it with kalamata olives, feta cheese, farmer’s market tomatoes and cucumbers. I dressed it with about a table spoon each of champagne vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. I tossed the salad and then added salt and pepper to taste, tossing again quickly to incorporate.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment