Tuesday, June 16, 2009

KC082009 Mushroom Soup with Whole Wheat Croutons

06162009
Photobucket

I made a simple lunch today from some left over boxed mushroom soup by Imagine Organics and the mushrooms leftover from the filet mignon dinner. I also had about a quarter of a loaf of whole wheat bread that I let sit out over night to get hard. I used this to make some hearty croutons.

I didn’t have a lot of soup left over so I stretched it out with a little milk and chicken broth. I also added a splash of red wine for flavor. While the soup was heating up on the stove top, I sautéed the mushrooms in about a tablespoon of olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper, I added a splash of red wine and chicken stock to the mushrooms as well. I made sure to stir the soup often and kept the heat low so that it wouldn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Once the mushrooms were sufficiently sautéed I tossed them into the soup cooking for about 2 minutes longer, giving the flavors a chance to marry.

Photobucket

While the soup and mushrooms cooked I quickly and coarsely cubed the bread into bite size pieces and toasted them in a toaster oven until very brown. I didn’t add any seasoning to the croutons because the whole wheat bread already has such a hearty, nutty flavor.
I served the soup topped with the croutons, crumbled blue cheese, and some freshly cracked black pepper.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment