Sunday, June 28, 2009

KC102009 Strawberry Crepes

06282009

Photobucket

This morning for breakfast I made crepes. We got up early to make it to the farmers market before the crowds and bought some amazing Michigan grown strawberries from Bigelow Berry Farms. Our neighbor made strawberry jam recently but one batch didn’t quite jam, it turned into more of a sauce. I used this to top the crepes. I stuffed the crepes with strawberries and cream cheese whipped with lime zest, lime juice, and coffee liquor. I tried to make whip cream using lactose free 2% milk. I figured there’s low fat whip cream it should whip up just the same. It unfortunately did not. I whipped it on varying speeds in a chilled bowl for a long time and all I ended up with was a bubbly bowl of 2% milk. Oh well.

Photobucket

To make the filling I beat about 8 oz of cream cheese at room temperature using the paddle attachment on my kitchen aid. I then added about a teaspoon or so of coffee liquor, beating well until incorporated. I then added the zest of one lime and the juice of one lime. I think this filling would have tasted better with orange or lemon but all I had were limes.

Photobucket

The crepes were from a package. I had to make crepes in culinary school and failed miserably. I could never get them the right shape or consistency. I still had a little trouble with the packaged ones. There were no directions on the package as how to heat them up so I just put them in a lightly oiled skillet on very low heat to brown them. I must have blocked out the culinary school crepe making experience because I heated them before I stuffed them and of course they immediately got hard and so broke into tiny pieces when I tried to roll them. I instead filled them with the cream cheese and fresh strawberries. I rolled them up and placed them flap side down in the pan hoping that the heat would seal them closed and for the most part it did. I cooked them for about 30 seconds on each side on low heat, until they browned. I topped the finished crepes with the strawberry sauce.



Photobucket

Photobucket

Despite all the mistakes in this dish from the jam that didn’t jam, the lime instead of lemon, and even the crepes that broke, I think the meal was fantastic. The whipped cream probably would have been too much anyway. I’ll most likely use the broken crepe pieces and unjammed jam for some lemon ice cream I’ve got in the freezer.

Photobucket

Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment